The Spanish passport is a public, personal, individual and non-transferable document, issued by the General State Administration in Spain, which accredits the identity and nationality of Spanish citizens.
If you are a foreigner in Spain, but you already managed to obtain Spanish Citizenship, you may want to apply for a Spanish Passport, that enables you to travel across the EU.
All Spanish citizens have the right to obtain an ordinary Spanish passport provided that one of the following circumstances does not apply:
- Having been sentenced to penalties or security measures involving the deprivation or limitation of freedom of residence or movement.
- When the judicial authority has prohibited their issue.
- The obtaining of the passport by those citizens subject to parental authority or guardianship will be conditioned by the express consent of the person or body assigned to exercise it or, in the absence of such consent, of the competent judicial body.
What are the requirements to obtain the Passport?
Spanish passport eligibility is conditional on having Spanish citizenship. As we have explained in some of other posts, as a foreigner you are able to apply for Spanish citizenship after 10 years of legal residence. Check our guide to Spanish citizenship and permanent residence for more information.
The first thing you need to do to obtain a passport, whether it is for the first time or to renew it, is to make an appointment online or by calling 060 at the police station that suits you best. You will need to go to the police station on the day and time of your appointment with the necessary passport documents:
- Your valid ID (you can apply for a new ID and passport at the same time).
- A recent photo.
- Pay the fees, which you can also pay online, when you set your appointment. Getting a passport in Spain is worth 26.02 euros. Those who can prove that they have the status of a large family will obtain it free of charge.
The benefits of the Spanish Passport
Behind the United Arab Emirates and in second place to Luxembourg, Finland and Germany, Spain is one of the countries with the most highly valued passport, since, according to the Passport Index, it allows entry to 166 states without a visa.
Moreover, to travel in most European countries it is only necessary to have a valid ID card.
However, European citizens who enter or leave the Schengen area to third countries will have to travel with a passport, not being necessary to do so for travel within the borders of this area of free movement.
FAQs on the Spanish Passport.
How much does the Spanish Passport Cost?
Getting a passport in Spain is worth 26.02 euros. Those who can prove that they have the status of a large family will obtain it free of charge.
What is the main requirement to get the Spanish Passport?
Spanish passport eligibility is conditional on having Spanish citizenship. As we have explained in some of other posts, as a foreigner you are able to apply for Spanish citizenship after 10 years of legal residence.
Can I get a Spanish passport if my grandmother is Spanish?
Yes, you can. You can apply for nationality if at least one of your parents or grandparents is Spanish.