Student visa Spain

At MySpanishResidency, we understand that pursuing education in Spain is a life-changing experience, offering a world of opportunities for personal and academic growth. For international students aspiring to study in this vibrant and culturally rich country, the Student Visa stands as a crucial gateway to their educational dreams.

In this comprehensive guide, we explore the nuances of the Spanish Student Visa, providing you with invaluable insights, eligibility criteria, and an expertly navigated application process. Join us as we illuminate the path to educational excellence in Spain, making your aspirations a legal reality.

What You Need to Know About Getting a Student Visa in Spain 2024

Spain is an amazing place for students looking to expand their horizons, and enjoy a unique life experience. Not only does Spain have a selection of renowned universities, but it is also rich in culture, and has an exciting nightlife that few countries can match. Studying and/or working an internship in Spain is something that you’ll never forget for as long as you live.

Before applying for a student visa in Spain there are several things you need to know. This includes the type of visa you’ll need and what documentation is required. You should also familiarize yourself with the rights you’re afforded as an international student in Spain, as well as the various laws that apply to your situation. This being the case, let’s take a look at how to deal with these issues, and how to get your student visa in Spain with minimal hassle.

Student visa spain

There are three different types of permits when it comes to student visas in Spain depending on the length of time you’ll be staying in the country. Aside from that, the permits mostly function the same, though there are a few key differences. Also, keep in mind that students from the EU or Switzerland are free to study in Spain without having to obtain a student visa. However, other permits may be necessary depending on the situation.

Short-Term Student Visa

Student visa spain
do i need a student visa to study in spain? Student visa Spain

The short-term student visa is for students who plan to stay in Spain for three to 6 months. While this visa is easier to obtain than other permits in most cases, it also cannot be extended. That said, it is perfect for students planning on working a part time unpaid internship, taking Spanish language courses, or any other courses that last 180 days or less.

Long-Term Student Visa

If you plan to study in Spain for longer than six months, you’ll need to get a long-term student visa. This will involve additional paperwork such as a certificate verifying that you have no criminal records and a medical certificate and/or proof of medical insurance. Another stipulation is that you will have to apply for a student residence card. This must be done within a month of arriving and can be done at an immigration office.

Schengen Student Visa

Things are a little different if you plan on staying in Spain for less than three months. If your home country does not qualify for visa-free entry (typically nations in the EU and Switzerland) then you will need a Schengen student visa.

Getting a Schengen student visa does require a moderate amount of paperwork involving documents such as proof of college or university enrollment such as an acceptance letter, health insurance documentation, and even tax returns if you are self-employed. Right now the Schengen student visa is very affordable at just €60.

Choosing the Right Visa

Before you plan to apply for a student visa, you need to carefully think about what type you need since this isn’t a decision you can easily change later in many cases. Consider what you plan on doing in Spain, and how long your studies and/or internship will last. Remember that this isn’t a vacation, and you will need to have an accurate timeframe in mind when applying for your student visa in Spain.

Applying for a Spain Student Visa

The actual application process for a student visa in Spain can vary depending on many circumstances. This can include your home country, the consulate you contact, and the courses/internships you wish to participate in. It is important to remember that visa applicants must be offered a place on a course or internship before they can apply for their visa.

Furthermore, applicants and their family members should be aware that it will take time for the visa to be processed. This means that the application should be submitted two to three months before you plan on leaving. You can be deported from the country if you don’t consider this, so make sure you have your timetable planned out as accurately as possible before you enter Spain.

Specific Documentation Needed to Apply for a Student Visa in Spain

We’ve briefly touched on a few of the documents you need to get your student visa in Spain, but let’s go over some specifics. Remember, the exact documentation you need can vary depending on a wide variety of factors. A good strategy is to make sure that you can access any of the documents on this list if and when you need them.

  • College Student ID
  • Valid Passport
  • ID Card
  • Proof of sufficient funds
  • Proof of accomodation
  • Travel itinerary
  • Visa application form
  • 2 Recent Passport Photos
  • Private Health insurance documentation
  • Proof of acceptance from course in spain provider
  • Evidence of employment status
  • Income tax return (if self-employed)

While this may seem like a lot of documentation to deal with, most of it is fairly easy to obtain. Making sure that you can access any of the above documentation as needed will make the application process go much smoother, and give you peace of mind in knowing that no matter what documentation is asked of you, you’ll always have it ready.

Documentation for Minors

Be aware that minors may also need additional documentation. This can include documents such as a letter of consent from their parents, a birth certificate, and passport copies from one or both of their legal guardians.

Working in Spain on a Student Visa

As we touched on a bit earlier, student visas can also be used for working in Spain. However, there are some stipulations to consider. Firstly, work hours can not be greater than 20 a week. This means that work will be limited mostly to unpaid internships, and part-time jobs. Additionally, work must also not interfere with your studies during the academic year.

Another stipulation is that your prospective employer must get a work permit from the Foreign Office. The employment contract can not be allowed to exceed the duration of your study visa.

Keep in mind that if your internship is a part of a study course, then you won’t need a work permit for it. If you are unsure if you qualify, a Spanish immigration lawyer can help.

Knowing Your Rights as a Foreign Student in Spain

One thing that you shouldn’t forget when it comes to getting your student visa in Spain and presenting the correct documentation it’s important to know your legal rights as a foreign student in Spain. This of course includes knowing what documentation can and can’t be asked of you. While it is best to comply with the authorities in most situations, you should still be aware of the rights you possess so that you can make an informed decision regarding the exercising of those rights.

Get student visa spain Advice from the Experts

Here at MySpanishResidency, we specialize in helping you to navigate the complex bureaucracy and legal system that you’ll encounter while staying in Spain. This can help you in getting your student visa since the laws governing the process can be both tedious, and ambitious at times.

To make sure that your stay in Spain is a stress-free process, we can provide consultation regarding a variety of important subjects such as how to obtain a working permit and/or resident permit, advice on business investment, and information on how property tax works if you plan on buying a house in Spain.

If you have any questions about obtaining a student visa spain, or any other matters related to living, working, or investing in Spain, MySpanishResidency is here to help. Contact us today and we’ll be glad to offer our expert assistance.